Truth

As I have been studying 1 Peter for my sermons I have noticed something that I guess I knew but it struck me like never before.
"Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart, for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God. For, “All flesh is like grass, And all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, And the flower falls off, But the word of the Lord endures forever.” And this is the word which was preached to you." (1 Peter 1:22-25, NASB95)

When we are obedient to the truth (the Bible) it creates chnage. God causes us to be born again through His enduring word. The word preached transformed lives. Do we allow the Bible to change us? In the beginning was the Word. That word changes us. Real change. That's should be the hallmark of inspired preaching. When we allow it to penetrate our predisposed interpatation it will cause change.

I am so tired of how the Word has been hijacked to tickle our ears and indulge our lusts. Christ died to set me free. I am not good enough. I cannot become a better me, it takes a savior and obedience to His word. Christ did not die to make me wealthy, he did not die to make better. I have only one purpose and that is to glorify God. He did not come and suffer so I could command Him.

Can you imagine Peter preaching what is today called the gospel. Would Paul draw a crowd with his message of suffering? Would Dr. Luke be seen as too boring? How about James' denouncement of the rich and call for works to prove faith? We need to rediscover the true messages of the enduring word of God so that we can say as Peter this is the word that was preached to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Emphasis Month Guide

Christmas in Clovis

Notes for Sunday