Notes for "The Fugitive"

1. The Fugitive
Philemon
2. 2 Corinthians 5:17-19
Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.
3. 2 Corinthians 5:17-19
Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God
4. 2 Corinthians 5:17-19
was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
5. The fugitive
series
6. Salutation
Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother, To Philemon our beloved brother and fellow worker, and to Apphia our sister, and to Archippus our fellow soldier, and to the church in your house:
7. Salutation (continued)
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
8. Another personal letter
Paul-imprisoned apostle, the aged one
Philemon-wealthy Christian believer
Apphia-Christian wife of Philemon
Archippus-Minister and son of Apphia and Philemon
9. A family-man
Philemon- affectionate one
He lives up to his name
10. Personal greetings
I thank my God always, making mention of you in my prayers, because I hear of your love and of the faith which you have toward the Lord Jesus and toward all the saints;
11. Faithful man
Love
Faith
Towards Jesus and Christians
12. Personal greeting (continued)
and I pray that the fellowship of your faith may become effective through the knowledge of every good thing which is in you for Christ’s sake. For I have come to have much joy and comfort in your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you, brother.
13. Paul’s prayer
Fellowship of faith increases in effectiveness
Through knowledge of what Christ put in him.
14. Fruitful Man
Joy and comfort in your love
Demonstrated and reported
15. The heart of the matter
Therefore, though I have enough confidence in Christ to order you to do what is proper, yet for love’s sake I rather appeal to you—since I am such a person as Paul, the aged,
16. The heart of the matter (continued)
and now also a prisoner of Christ Jesus—I appeal to you for my child Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my imprisonment,
17. Onesimus
 “Useful”
 Slave
 Run away
 Converted by Paul
18. Paul’s appeal
For love’s sake
Not compulsion
19. What’s inside?
The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good;
20. Word play
I appeal to you for my child Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my imprisonment, who formerly was useless to you, but now is useful both to
you and to me.
21. Turning over a new leaf
Living up to his name
From useless to useful
22. A pastor’s heart
I have sent him back to you in person, that is, sending my very heart, whom I wished to keep with me, so that on your behalf he might minister to me in my imprisonment for the gospel; but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
23. Sends a runaway slave back?
I love him
I could use him
24. Choices
Philemon’s decision
Free choice
No compulsion
25. Insight
For perhaps he was for this reason separated from you for a while, that you would have him back forever, no longer as a slave, but more than a slave, a beloved brother, especially to me, but how much more to you,
26. Separation
Onesimus
A change of mind
A change of heart
A change of action
Philemon
Growth in love
Growth in faith
Growth in wisdom
27. One in Christ
If then you regard me a partner, accept him as you would me. But if he has wronged you in any way or owes you anything, charge that to my account; I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand, I will repay it (not to mention to you that you owe to me even your own self as well).
28. Reconciliation
An equal
Anything not right
I’ll pay
29. Authority and confidence
Yes, brother, let me benefit from you in the Lord; both in the flesh and in the Lord. refresh my heart in Christ. Having confidence in your obedience, I write to you, since I know that you will do even more than what I say.
30. Confidence
Benefit in the spirit
Benefit in the natural
31. The rest of the story
We don’t really know
What type of witness would it have been in the area
Why keep letter if it had a bad ending
Colossae
After the death of Paul, Ignatius, on his way to Rome to be martyred, wrote a letter to the bishop of Ephesus Who was named Onesimus! It could have been this converted slave!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Emphasis Month Guide

Christmas in Clovis

The Gifts of the Spirit are Available Today